Sunday, June 7, 2009

Food after pregnancy...

My husband and I are "foodies." We love food...sometimes a little too much...but we love food.

Sigh...as a result of pregnancy there were a few of my favourite foods that I was unable to indulge in. There are a few things that pregnant women should not eat because it may harm the baby (bacteria that can harm the baby, high levels of certain things that can harm the baby, etc.). The list pretty much contains every type of food that I love in this world...check out the link if you are curious:


I also have a "glucose/carbohydrate intolerance"...similar to gestational diabetes...but not quite...but close enough. I have to watch the amount of sugar, carb and starch intake at each meal. Darn my pancreas for not stepping up the insulin production! I had to test my sugars for a few weeks...but it's under control and I no longer have to test. I must follow the meal plan though for the remainder of the pregnancy. I should be back to regular eating very shortly after delivery...apparently within 24 hours my sugars will be normal again! Woot woot!

This has meant that I have had the same old same old food for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and bedtime snack...BORING! It also has a time element to it too! Must eat at such and such a time! But it's easier for me to eat the types of meals that I know are good for my sugar levels...but I must say the repetitive meals are starting to get to me!

My poor husband and my poor carpool buddy have had to take the brunt of my lamenting about the food that I cannot indulge in. With every tv ad or billboard that we pass, I am reminded of my favourite foods that are off limits.

I have been thinking about this for months...my top 10 (or so) list of things that I want to eat once the baby is born. Don't worry...I won't binge on these items constantly...but I would like to start eating some of this food again! It's been so long! Here goes!

#1 SUSHI

I LOVE SUSHI! I crave sushi on a weekly basis! This has been THE hardest food to avoid...hands down! Tuna and salmon sashimi, chopped scallop rolls...how I miss you so! Raw fish is a big no-no during pregnancy...coupled with the sweet white sushi rice that messes up my sugars...even sushi containing cooked items have been largely off limits. Samurai Sushi--look out! I'm heading your way soon!




#2 WHITE RICE & NOODLES

I'm Chinese. We eat rice. Lots of rice. We eat lots of noodles too. My grandpa raised me on noodles. Nobody else enjoyed eating noodles more than me and my grandpa.

I'm allowed no more than one cup of rice or one and half cups of noodles at a meal (lots of sugar in these carbs). One cup is not very much people...not much at all...especially for a Chinese person...and especially for a Chinese person that LOVES rice and noodles! I have been avoiding eating much of either...it's just too painful to only have a taste...it's easier to avoid it entirely! =(

I long for a HUGE bowl of steaming white rice with my uncle's special BBQ duck and BBQ pork...or a big bowl of steaming hot noodles...soon enough...soon enough...




#3 BAGUETTES AND BUTTER
I could live off of just eating baguettes and butter all day...every day. Simple and tasty. There's something about the crunchy crust and soft bread in the middle topped with creamy butter...who can say no to that?! Unfortunately, any bread that is not whole grain is a no-no due to the high sugar content...bah! The husband has been commissioned to bring this to me in the hospital...


#4 VIETNAMESE SUBS

I grew up in East Van. Our Vietnamese friends introduced us to Vietnamese sub sandwiches early on and I have never looked back since! Unfortunately, everything about the sub hits my no-no list during pregnancy: white bread (high sugar), pate (high levels of retinol), deli meats (listeria) and pickled veggies (sweet as well). I'm sure those who grew up on the east side can feel my pain right now...there is nothing more satisfying than a crunchy and warm vietnamese sub. The husband has been summoned to bring this to me in the hospital as well...


#5 SCREAMERS (slurpee with soft serve ice cream)

Many people don't know what a screamer is...for shame! It is only one of the best ways to cool down during a hot hot hot summer day! Too bad the sugar levels are through the roof!

Think of your favourite Slurpee flavour. Yum yum right? Now mix in some vanilla soft serve...HEAVEN!

This wouldn't have made my list...but the wretched husband has been indulging on these drinks during the recent heat wave we've been experiencing. Grrr! He has been pretty good about eating what I have to eat...to keep me company during these days of diet limitations...solidarity...but apparently the Screamer is his achilles heal. Weak!

Thank goodness I am delivering in June...I have the rest of the summer to indulge... =)



#6 OREO ICE CREAM SANDWICH

My best friend and I used to ride our bikes around the "hood" every day during the summer months of our childhood. Most days we would stop for some ice cream or a slurpee. Thus, the Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich has been a favourite of mine from early on. I don't crave ice cream that much...but I certain crave this darn sandwich a great deal! Very soon...



#7 SUBWAY SANDWICHES...not wraps!

Subway sandwiches and sandwiches in general have been tough to give up. We are teachers. We are sandwich people. The combination of carbs from the bread and the deli meat has meant that I have had to largely give up on this favourite of ours. We have been eating wraps instead...namely tuna wraps from Subway...or wraps that don't contain deli meat from various other places. We've made a variety of different types of wraps at home...but it's just not the same as a good old fashioned sandwich. This has been the hardest for the husband to give up...I crave sandwiches more for him than for myself. Not much longer dear!



#8 RARE STEAK

I love steak. I love rare/medium rare steak. Raw meats should be avoided during pregnancy.

We've had steak during this time...unfortunately the words "well done" have to be spoken. To me, a well done steak is a wasted steak...dry...tough...lacks flavour...etc. I have tried to make it better with ketchup, dressing it up with many many yummy sides...but it's just not the same...



#9 PASTA! PASTA! PASTA!

As previously mentioned I can have up to a cup or so of pasta at a meal. One cup is barely a bite in my opinion...so we have avoided it ever since my sugar concerns arose...there's no point to eating it...no point...too painful!

We LOVE pasta. We used to eat pasta at least once a week at home. We live relatively close to Anton's...known for GIGANTIC portions of pasta. We miss eating pasta!



#10 DELI MEATS

I've mentioned the no-no's of deli meats above...which has affected our sandwich consumption.

The one deli meat that I miss the MOST is prosciutto. I could prosciutto all day...with bread and butter...and olives...mmm...

We have some wonderful delis near where we live and I can't wait to head out to them to choose my favourite meats again...yes...the baby can come too...


#11 UNDERCOOKED EGGS

Pretty much anything that is not completely cooked is off limits during pregnancy.

I like my eggs soft boiled, sunny side up, soft poached etc. You get the picture.

The last few months have consisted of: hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs...every day. Yikes!

I miss my eggs benedict as well...sigh...


Now you people know what to bring me if you come over for a visit! =)










3 comments:

  1. dude - you are so much better than I was. Apart from the sugar concern and the lysteria, you can chill out. Baby Lee is almost cooked, so you can probably indulge in anything at this point. Make sure you have friends lined up to bring you food since the hospital food SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Lee!!! I totally understand your pain!!! I love rice and noodles.... It's new wave of consumerism to Eatstern Europe :P... But the undercooked eggs is the biggest burn... My mom used to make those for me when I was younger for breakfast.... OOOOHHHHH.... INDULGENCE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaaren--I've come so far...what's a few more days...sigh..long days...Joe knows what he needs to bring...I'm sure he has the list memorized after all the lamenting...

    Ira...please indulge on the forbidden food on my behalf...I will live vicariously through you! =)

    ReplyDelete