What is it with people and elevators? Manners and consideration apparently don't apply when one is using an elevator. As a new mom with a stroller I have recently entered the realm of elevator usage. Here's what really grinds my gears about people and elevators in malls:
1. Lazy non-essential users
Elevators should be used by the following categories of people:
-the elderly
-people with mobility issues
-people with strollers or with small children in tow
-people carrying large parcels or carts of goods
-people who are traveling up/down multiple floors (not just ONE!)
Maybe it's the teacher in me...but it really bothers me when flocks of able bodied teenagers are too lazy to take the stairs or escalators and instead decide to monopolize the elevators. They have options. Me with the baby and stroller? No other option. I can't believe that there are signs that need to remind people to give priority to people in wheelchairs and strollers...dude...shouldn't that be obvious? Sigh...
2. People who rush in...
This has happened to me multiple times...I'm trying to get out with my stroller...people start getting on the elevator while I'm trying to get out. They squeeze by us. We are in no way taking too long...they are just impatient. Dude...it is hard enough to drive this darn stroller without running people over...do you really need to squeeze by us? Can't you wait a couple of seconds? If you let us out first it would be a lot easier! ARGH!!!
3. People who can't wait their turn...
I must say my fellow strollerites are the worst at this! Dude! We're supposed to be on the same team! We should be in solidarity!
It bothers me to the nth degree when people can't wait their turn...whether it's waiting for the bus...waiting at the food court...waiting for a parking spot....or waiting to use the elevator.
It's often very obvious who has been waiting for the elevator the longest...very much like a 4 way stop intersection. But to some people, the opening of the elevator doors apparently means that all bets are off and it's every man for himself! What the heck! Wait your turn! There have been several occasions where other people have BUDGED (yes...I have pulled out the old school elementary school lingo to describe this!) in front of us and barged right into the elevator while we watched...and believe me...I was not asleep at the wheel when it happened.
We get back at people in our own passive aggressive way...our normally quiet baby is usually easily hushed to silence by us...but if we're in an elevator with someone who has ignored all basic means of etiquette...we allow him to scream in that small and confined space. Ha ha! Serves them right! Our baby is showing them who's boss! I must say that Baby S has a knack for fussing at the most suitable times too...perhaps he can sense his mother's annoyance...standing up for his mommy already! Awwww.... =)
Here is a link to a website dedicated to elevator etiquette...yes...such a website needs to exist apparently:
However...I prefer to simplify it just like how I simplify guidelines for behaviour in the classroom. One word: RESPECT. Be respectful of others in every way and you are bound to be showing proper etiquette.
Rant over. More to come... =)
No comments:
Post a Comment